Our grandmothers are beautiful people, both inside and out. And there are so many reasons to adore these precious souls that bring wisdom and love to the planet every day. This is probably what motivated author, columnist and radio host Alice Solomon to declare July 23 as Gorgeous Grandma Day.
We always make a big deal out of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day each year, and rightly so. Mom and Dad deserve their special day of recognition. But Solomon wanted to ensure grandma got her holiday as well, which is why many have been celebrating Gorgeous Grandma Day on 7/23 since its inception in 1984.
Now, if this is the first time you are hearing about Gorgeous Grandma Day, perhaps you have a few questions. Namely what the holiday is all about and how you can participate to make the day nice for your grandmother. No worries, we are here to help. The occasion is meant to recognize grandmothers with at least one grandchild, and to honor them for their contribution to their families and the world. What’s more gorgeous than that?
To get you ready for July 23, we’ve put together a list of 6 Ways to Celebrate Gorgeous Grandma Day. Enjoy!
1. Write Down Your Thoughts – what better way to let our grandmothers know how much they mean to us than to tell them. And you don’t have to be a poet to do it either. Stated on a greeting card, a piece of stationery, or even on a loose scrap of paper, your words and feelings are something most grandmothers would love to hear.
2. Make Her a Nice Meal – many grew up enjoying grandma’s tasty cooking, so it makes a wonderful gesture when you return the favor. Make her a dish she used to fix for you, or maybe one of your own specialties. If cooking isn’t your strong suit, you can always pick her up something delicious and drop it off to surprise her, or take her to a special restaurant to treat her.
3. Post a Shoutout on Social Media – this is one of the easiest ways to praise grandmothers. Most everyone is on Facebook or Instagram or both, so why not use it to post a thoughtful “shoutout” in her honor. You can even tag her if she uses social media too. If not, you can still use it as a platform to share why your grandma is gorgeous and encourage others to do the same.
4. Take a Trip to the Past – nostalgia is one of the greatest gifts of all. So, if you happen to have some vintage scrapbooks, old photo albums or videos footage you haven’t looked at in ages, it might be nice to get them out of storage and share them your grandmother on July 23. Taking a walk down memory lane can provide an instant lift to moods and emotions, and she is sure to appreciate the stroll.
5. Help the Kids Create Something – some grandmothers are not only gorgeous, but they are also “great”. And they certainly love hearing from their greatgrandchildren. Consider getting the kids in on the festivities by “getting crafty” for grandma. It could be anything from drawing a picture, to making a card, to creating something pretty to decorate her house with. What a beautiful way to bring together multiple generations to show how much your grandmother is loved.
6. Take Her on an Adventure – don’t let them fool you, grandmothers still have a heart for adventure. Surprise her with a trip to the salon, or a picnic on the beach, or a shopping excursion. Or how about a hot air balloon ride? The sky’s the limit. Literally. If you know your grandmother well, you can even tailor her adventure to be exactly the kind of thing that she would respond to. A day planned just for her!
So, what pampered treatment is your gorgeous grandma going to get on July 23? Or maybe you’re a grandmother yourself, hoping to get some quality attention and “me time”. All grandmothers are awesome! We trust our list provided the necessary inspiration it was intended for. And don’t forget that The Bradford Exchange has an awesome selection of heartfelt and unique grandma gifts too. All heartfelt and meaningful presents that would accompany the ideas in this article perfectly.6 Ways to Celebrate Gorgeous Grandma Day by The Bradford Exchange