John Wayne’s birthday is this Tuesday, May 26. To celebrate the quintessential American cowboy widely known as “The Duke,” I thought I’d share some of my favorite words of wisdom from his life and acting career. They’re proof that for every situation, there’s a John Wayne quote to remind you to always live your best life. Read them, share them, and bring a little cowboy swagger to your everyday life!
1. When your husband comes back from the store with nothing but junk food, remind yourself:
2. When you’re at the movies, and someone starts talking about how none of this would actually happen in real life:
3. When your girlfriend wants to go horseback riding and you’re terrified of horses:
4. When it’s his turn to change the baby’s diaper and he’s trying to get out of it, just look him in the eye and say, “Honey…”:
5. When you’re feeling discouraged and could use some affirmation, just look in the mirror and repeat these words:
6. When your son or daughter is getting married, and they come to you for relationship advice:
7. When you get called for jury duty:
8. When the going gets tough, and you feel like giving up, remember:
9. When you’re studying in the library with your friends:
10. When your buddies ask why you gave up tickets to the big game to stay home with your pregnant wife:
11. On those rare occasions when you make a mistake, and you could easily blame someone else, but you decide to take responsibility because that’s what Duke would do:
12. When your wife asks you why you framed this list of John Wayne quotes to hang on your wall:
What’s your favorite John Wayne quote? Let me know in the comments, and be sure to share this list with the John Wayne admirers in your life!
Looking for more ways to bring Duke’s rugged masculinity and dauntless tenacity to your home, check out our wide selection of officially licensed John Wayne collectibles and home decor.The John Wayne Guide to Living Your Best Life: 12 Quotes for Everyday Situations by Ann Kelley