Buying a gift for a woman can be a daunting task for any man, especially when it’s something as personal and symbolic as a ring. On the one hand, there’s the engagement ring, which is something she’s probably dreamed about for years — and take it from me, she’s certain to have strong opinions about it! But even rings that don’t come with a marriage proposal can be hard to pick out for the woman you love. There’s a lot to consider: her personality, style, favorite gemstones and cuts, preference for silver or gold, etc. I know these things aren’t always easy to pin down, so here are a few tips that will hopefully make choosing the right ring a lot simpler.
1. Find her ring size. Finding your wife or girlfriend’s ring size is an excellent place to start. Don’t worry, this part is easy. Take a ring she already owns and use this ring sizer to determine what size it is.
2. Listen to her. Okay, this is a good rule in general, but especially so when it comes to finding her perfect ring. Tune in to what she says about jewelry, about her friends’ engagement rings, about celebrities whose style she admires. Did she compliment someone else’s ring, or casually mention how much she loves chocolate diamonds? These are important clues, so pay attention!
3. Ask for help. This might be the most valuable tip for buying a ring she’ll actually love. The women who know her best are a terrific resource, since they’re more likely to know what she’d most love to wear. Consult her mother, her sister, her best friend anyone who is close to her and can be trusted not to let your secret slip.
4. Notice what she wears. What jewelry does she own? What jewelry does she actually wear? Does she tend to gravitate towards silver or gold, diamonds or rubies, bold statement pieces or simple and elegant designs? If you have a general sense of her preferences, it will help you narrow down your options when beginning your search. Considering her personality will also help. If she’s adventurous and outgoing, she might like a colorful fashion ring, whereas a more conservative personality might prefer something classic and understated.
5. Consider your intent. If you’re planning to propose, you’re going to need a different kind of ring than if you’re buying a Mother’s Day gift. There’s no hard and fast rule for what rings are appropriate for what occasions, but there are a few general guidelines you can follow if you’re at a loss. Statement and fashion rings and rings featuring her birthstone are lovely birthday gifts, while family birthstone rings are especially nice for Mother’s Day. If you want to give her a symbol of your love and devotion, on the other hand, you’ll want a romantic ring or a promise ring. These rings are especially meaningful when they’re engraved with your names or a romantic sentiment.
6. Do some “Pin-vestigating”. If your sweetheart isn’t particularly forthcoming with hints, you might have to do a little digging. Let’s be clear, I’m not talking about violating her privacy in any way. I’m saying maybe check out her Pinterest boards. If she’s on Pinterest, she probably has a board or two dedicated to jewelry and fashion. Don’t want to create an account? Ask one of her friends to show you what she’s been Pinning lately. It will help give you an idea of what she’s coveting.
7. Look for a guarantee. Even if you’re confident that she’ll love the ring you’ve picked out for her, it’s never a bad idea to have some extra insurance. Before you commit to a ring, look into the return policy in case it’s not exactly what she had in mind. The Bradford Exchange offers a 120-day money-back guarantee on all women’s rings, for example. Just sayin’!
I hope this was helpful! If it was, please share it with your friends and family. If not, I’m always happy to hear your feedback, especially if you have questions that I didn’t answer here.
Ready to start shopping? Go check out the amazing women’s rings available on our site!The Man's Guide to Buying Women's Rings by Ann Kelley